Minutes 7th November 2017

Minutes of Moreton-on-Lugg Parish Council meeting held in Moreton-on-Lugg Village Hall on Tuesday 7th November 2017 at 7.30p.m.

Parish Clerk – Lesley Hay

MINUTES

PRESENT:
Councillors: Cllr K Cooper (Chairman) Cllr. P. Spong (Vice-Chairman); Cllr. C Cowley; Cllr. D Preece; Cllr. Richard Styles; Cllr. Barry Garbett; Cllr. C Boden. Cllr B Jackson;Cllr V Javens.

Present: 7 members of the public.

Present: Parish Clerk: Lesley Hay. Ward Cllr Guthrie

The Chairman welcomed those present to the November meeting.

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – PCSO Alex Nuttall
2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND WRITTEN APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATIONS – Cllr Kim Cooper signed on behalf of the Village Hall.
3. RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE LOCAL POLICE OFFICER
Apologies received from PCSO Alex Nuttall. The Chairman read an article from the latest Police Newsletter with regard to the Youth Engagement Day on 26th October 2017.
An email received from PSCO Nuttall with regard to the 26th October 2017 reads as follows:
The day was very successful, we had about 11 youths turn up for the full 2 hours. I was very pleased and I am very appreciative that members of the community and members of the parish council were in attendance. Helping to make tea and tidying up at the end of the session. Due to the success of the day, we hope to arrange another similar session in the not too distant future.
There were two incidents reported in the Newsletter – an attempted burglary in the area of Brook House Farm and a small fire discovered on the tarmac basketball count in the play area.

4. WARD COUNCILLOR’S REPORT – see attached.
(4.1) OPEN DISCUSSION – with local residents present at meeting and
matters raised between meetings.
Outline planning application for the erection of 64 houses on land West of Church House – notification has been received of a Planning and Regulatory Committee meeting to be held on 15th November 2017. There will be a site meeting on the 14th November – but there will be no discussion just an opportunity for Planning members to ask any relevant questions on their observations while on site and prior to the meeting to be held the following day.

After open discussion on the correct protocol with regard to attending this meeting – it was agreed that Cllr B Garbett would register his intention to attend. The Chairman and Cllr Garbett will meet over the weekend to draft a three-minute response/presentation to be given by Cllr Garbett on behalf of the Parish Council.

It was acknowledged that a very comprehensive letter of objection has already been sent to the Planning Officer but the site access plus the sewage/electricity issues remain priority concerns which need to be addressed before the Planning Officers make any sort of decision.

Ward Cllr Guthrie and other members of the public indicated their intention to attend.

It was reported that the green litter bin at the entrance to the Play Park -was spilt and not really fit for use. Cllr Richard Styles reported that Steve Browne was going to try and repair it – however, in the meantime, the Clerk will approach Balfour Beatty’s Locality Steward to see if a replacement bin can be provided.

There was further discussion on the recent repair to the bridge – it is reported that the very large unsightly stone has been replaced with two smaller stones which are aesthetically more acceptable. However, it was noted that another coping stone has been dislodged – it was not clear if this has been logged with Balfour Beatty – Clerk to bring to the Locality Steward’s attention.

(4.2) The Chairman closed the open session

5. WEBSITE– Cllr B Garbett gave an informative presentation with regard to the Transparency Code; Data Protection requirements; asset information and the Government’s wish for Parish Councils to have a more interactive/easy to access Parish Council website.

Cllr Garbett also explained that, in the foreseeable future, there is to be a requirement to explain in detail any purchases over £100 and this information to be easy accessible on the website.

Following discussion, it was unanimously agreed to go ahead and apply for the government grant of £500 and to approach, via HALC, Mark Millmore and ask him to create a new Moreton On Lugg Parish Council website.

The domain name preferred is moretononlugg.org

The costs for creating the site is £500 which includes two hours training for up to four persons. The Clerk explained that she would be responsible for uploading and maintaining the Parish Council website but would not be able to maintain/manage the community aspect of the site.

Cllr Garbett proposed a vote of thanks to Adrian Spong for creating and managing the existing website and it was agreed a letter of thanks would be sent.

The Chairman proposed a vote of thanks to Cllr Garbett for taking the time to attend the HALC meeting and for his presentation.

6. VILLAGE HALL REPORT – The Chairman presented an up to date accounts sheet which showed a healthy balance of £4893.47.
Cllr Cooper explained there had been two very successful fund-raising events and that the Christmas Fayre – the date of which had been brought forward – proved very successful with a profit of £305.00

A vote of thanks was proposed to Pam Taplin and her helpers for all their excellent work in organising the Christmas Fayre.

The Chairman confirmed that the on-going redecoration plan was in hand. It was reported that there is a faulty light in the Ladies Toilets and Cllr Cooper will liaise with the electrician.

The new fire escape is now in place and an invoice for £4200 plus an invoice from Window Wise (Hereford) have been forwarded to Tarmac with a final request for payment against their very generous donation towards refurbishment of the Village Hall.

7. The MINUTES OF PARISH COUNCIL MEETING held on the 3rd October together with the Minutes of the EXTRA ORDINARY MEETING held on 20th September were accepted as a true record and it was unanimously voted that they be adopted and signed by the Chairman.

8. Ongoing Planning applications:
(8.1) Update on Plan application: 172919 – West of Church House
Discussed during the Ward Cllr Guthrie’s report and in Open Session.

9. PLAY PARK REPORT
Cllr Styles said there was nothing major to report at this time. He will purchase some replacement football net clips and bring invoice to the next meeting.

The provision of £1000 (to include all mole work) set aside within the budget for ongoing urgent repairs was discussed and it was agreed that this need not to be used on a monthly basis but used as and when necessary for urgent repairs/replacement within the Play Park. However, in view of the proposed £100 transparency requirement – all large purchases need to be brought to the Parish Council for authorisation together with detailed documentation.

(9.1) Safeguarding Children and Adults Local Parish Councils Checklist – the Clerk explained that there were new requirements with regard to naming a designated/nominated person for safeguarding as a main contact point for referral of any concerns or allegations to the Parish Council.

The Clerk explained that she is due to attend some training and will report back to the next meeting. In the meantime, Steve Brown, undertook a safeguarding training course in December 2016 and his certificate is on record.

10. TO RECEIVE REPORTS/UPDATES on deferred items
(10.1) Update on Tree survey report – The Clerk reported that she had been in contact with Owen Weatherall and he is to preparing a Tree Survey Report. In the meantime, his quotation for removal of the five Sub Station trees had been already been agreed as the lower quote and this work will commence once the leaves have dropped.

(10.2) Post Office Park dog bin – it was reported by the lengthsman that the new litter bin in Post Office park had been wrenched off its post – he has repaired it. It was acknowledged that these bins are under a street lamp in the park where the youths congregate and further vandalism may occur.

(10.3) Update on Community Governance review – this is ongoing with regard to the change of boundary affecting a small number of properties affected by a border anomaly. It is proposed that these properties would be better represented in the neighbouring Parish of Wellington.

(10.4) Footpath Officer’s report – all in good order for the time of the year. However, concerns were raised with regard to walkers straying from the footpaths/bridle path and walking around the fields rather than staying to the designated footpath area. Clerk will ask Locality Steward if there are any signs available – ‘Keep to the footpath’.

11. TO RECEIVE THE FINANCIAL REPORT:
(11.1) Payments since last meeting – none

(11.2) To consider payment of accounts – schedule of payments had been circulated. It was proposed and unanimously agreed that the outstanding invoices should be paid and cheques were raised and signed.

(a) Precept/Budget 2018/19 – after a short discussion with regard to the possibility of funding towards the salary of a Data Protection Officer – a vote was taken and it was unanimously agreed that the Precept for 2018-19 should be increased by £1000 to £18,500. The Clerk will submit the request form before the 31st December 2017.

(b) ICO register of data controllers – the Clerk explained that all Parish Councils have to be a member of the ICO – register of data controllers. The Clerk has now registered and there is an annual registration fee of £35.00

(c) Data Protection Officer – there is no update available at present but the Clerk will be attending a HALC training course in the near future and will bring further information to the next meeting.

12. LENGTHSMAN SCHEME – no specific work required for November.

It was noted that there had been a weed spray throughout the village.

Cllr Boden raised the possibility of slippage on the moss along the pavements in Nursery Drive and also the uneven surfaces left by previous utilities work. It was discussed and explained that there is a time limit for reporting dissatisfaction with regard to utilities workmanship and unfortunately that time had now lapsed.

The Clerk to approach the Locality Steward and ask him to re visit Nursery Drive with a view to inspecting the moss and look to see if the uneven surfaces have got worse over the summer.

(12.1) A Fly tipping questionnaire was completed and the Clerk will submit.

13. CORESPONDENCE:

Community Housing Fund was discussed – no action
Poppy Wall invitation was discussed – no action
Travellers DPD site was discussed – no action

13. TO CONSIDER MATTERS RAISED BY MEMBERS FOR NEXT
AGENDA – none raised for discussion.

Next meeting – Apologies received from Cllr Diane Preece.

14. DATE of next meeting: Tuesday 5th December 2017

Chairman closed the meeting at 9.10p.m.

Please note there will not be a meeting in January.

 

Highways Talk on 30/10/17

Cllr. Barry Durkin (Cabinet Member for Transport & Roads) provided a very good & frank talk on the current position regarding Highways matters & government funding for roads. Parish Councillors from all three Parishes in the Ward were able to raise their highways issues with Cllr. Durkin & importantly were able to highlight the matter of Sutton Walls Ward’s priority road (the C1120 from Moreton on Lugg to Marden) & request that is prioritised for resurfacing. Cllr. Durkin advised that it is a “high priority” & that he would have an update in April/May next year. He mentioned that Balfour Beatty are holding two presentation sessions for Parish Councillors on the new “Community Commissioning” scheme to be held at the Kingsland Depot, on 10th November 2017 at 3pm & at Thorne Offices, Rotherwas on 15th November 2017 at 6pm. I attended the Balfour Beatty Members’ briefing on 1st November 2017 which included an update on the Challenge fund works, technical briefing on surfacing types, preparations for winter, Lengthsman P3, locality working and an introduction to the Community Commissioning model. This was only mentioned rather briefly, however, Balfour Beatty advised that they are working on a “Tool Kit” for Parish Councils which will cover all the details & the full process.

Re: Moreton Bridge – update

Matthew Knight (Principal Conservation Officer) is in the process of following matters up, raised at the previous Parish Council meeting. Although, he has had an update from Balfour Beatty’s Bridge Engineer – The repairs have been carried out, with instructions again to ensure these are done to the required standard. Unfortunately, another coping stone has been hit & Matthew will be liaising with the Bridges team at Balfour Beatty to look at how this can be repaired.

Re: Update on Redirection Request – 172919 Land to the west of Church Farm, Moreton on Lugg.

On this occasion the decision was that the application shall be referred to Planning Committee.
It met the second criterion (as set out in the Constitution) which is whether the application had attracted an unusually high level of public interest in the relevant area. This was considered significant for the purposes of the constitution, due to the numbers of letters of objection. I have been advised that it is likely this planning application will be heard at the Planning Committee on 15th November 2017. The agenda for the meeting will be published on 7th November 2017.

Re: Complaints about the planning website ref: residents having difficulty uploading their comments – I have reported these problems to Herefordshire Council Officers for their attention accordingly.

Re: A49 Issues

Blocked Gullies – response from Highways England

Good News – I received an update from Highways England confirming that they have cleansed all the gullies on the A49 around Moreton on Lugg. They followed up with an inspection on 24th October 2017 to check that the gullies were clear along this section of the A49 & they sent me photographs of the gullies too. I have duly thanked Highways England for their response & for their good work.

Re: Speed Review – Safer Roads Partnership

I have asked them if they have carried out any further recent speed reviews on the A49 and I am waiting to hear back from them.

Re: Highways England remaining signs on A49 – reported

In particular, I have reported the two remaining signs at Moreton on Lugg to Highways England for collection.

Re: A49 Issues – update

I have thanked Bill Wiggin MP for making representations to Highways England and updated him with the news of the more positive recent response (& works carried out) from Highways England. Although, I understand that there are no plans for a reduction in the speed limit at the moment, but no doubt this issue will be looked at again & reviewed in the future. I emphasised, that the speed of the traffic on A49 along the stretch of road at Moreton on Lugg remains a substantive concern for all and asked for his continued help with this matter – which would be much appreciated.

Boundary Commission for England published revised proposals

The Boundary Commission for England (BCE) launched its third and final consultation on changes to Parliamentary constituencies in England on 17th October 2017, intended to come into effect for the next scheduled general election in 2022.

This is the last chance to have your say on decisions that could affect Herefordshire. The proposals were published on 17th October 2017 and are a result of feedback from public consultations in September 2016 and March 2017. The Hereford and South Herefordshire proposed changes document is available to view at Hereford Town Hall. The North Herefordshire proposed changes document is available to view at Leominster Library.

To make a comment look up the consultation online, where you can also see other people’s comments and view the proposed changes for Herefordshire on the interactive map www.bce2018.org.uk For further information Tel: 020 7276 1102 or write to: Boundary Commission for England, 35 Great Smith Street, London, SW1P 3BQ

Report by Kema Guthrie 04/11/2017