Minutes 7th February 2017

Minutes of the Council meeting of Moreton-on-Lugg Parish Council held in Moreton-on-Lugg Village Hall on Tuesday 7th February 2017

Parish Clerk – Lesley Hay
The Chairman welcomed those present to the Parish Council meeting.

PRESENT:
Councillors: Cllr Kim Cooper (Chairman) Cllr. P. Spong (Vice-Chairman) Cllr B Jackson; Cllr S Browne; Cllr M. Hackeson-Poole; Cllr C Boden; Cllr R Styles.

Public attendance: 4 members of the public.

Parish Clerk: Lesley Hay. Mr Mike Kerrigan – Chairman Village Hall;
Ward Cllr K. Guthrie

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – PCSO Ekanite
2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND WRITTEN APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATIONS by Parish Councillors – Cllr Kim Cooper for the Village Hall;
3. The Clerk explained the reasons why there needed to be a repeat co-option process.
A notice regarding the vacancy had been displayed and as there had been no request for an election – the Parish Council were in a position to co-opt a new Parish Councillor. As there were no new applicants, Mrs Valerie Javens was unanimously invited to fill the vacant position. Mrs Javens accepted and, having signed the appropriate documentation, joined the table as full voting Councillor.

4. REPORT FROM THE LOCAL POLICE OFFICER – as there was no Police Officer present, the Chairman reported that in the recent Police Newsletter there had been no reported incidents in Moreton during the previous month.

Cllr Spong mentioned recent incidents of silent phones calls.

The recent drug dealing in the village hopefully seems to have stopped for the time being but the local police continue to monitor the situation.

5. WARD COUNCILLOR’S REPORT – attached to these minutes.
(5.1) OPEN DISCUSSION – with local residents present at meeting and
matters raised between meetings.
(5.2) A list of questions for Cllr Johnson was discussed and Ward Cllr Guthrie
will make them available to Ward Cllr Johnson prior to the
meeting.
These were outlined as:

(a) What cuts will the Parish Council have in the next couple of years?
(b) What support will the Parish Council get?
(c) What is the likely impact of Herefordshire Council’s Budget cuts & how they are going to affect Parish Councils, at the current time & into the future.

Additional items brought to Ward Cllr Guthrie’s attention:

It was confirmed that the bollards on the A49 had been removed.

Other A49 Issues of Concern

1) The lighting at the Moreton on Lugg junction is in need of urgent attention. The “keep left” bollards are totally obscured in mud and therefore cannot been seen clearly by road users. In addition, the three pedestrian lights are also in a poor condition (very dim, hardly working & or may need, cleaning or bulbs replacing).

2 The “keep left” bollards at the Moreton Business Park are also in need of urgent cleaning and or repairs too.

3) The white lining for the new cycle way needs to be done & there is a section of road (at the village road junction with A49) where the white lines have been rubbed off and need renewing.

4) Concerns about rubbish on the A49 were raised at the meeting

5) It was reported that there is going to be a planned night time road closure of A49 from the Starting Gate Roundabout through to Wellington scheduled for next week. Ward Cllr Guthrie will request that the works required ref: points 1) to 4) at Moreton on Lugg are carried out during this time

6) Ward Cllr Guthrie is to request a meeting with Highways England – Re Northern Section A49 –

Ward Cllr Guthrie was asked to contact the Locality Steward re the following:

There were concerns about Potholes in Cedar Close and the general state of the road surface.

Road sweeping of village roads is required & drains need unblocking

Visibility Concern at top end of Moreton Road at the junction with Canon Pyon Road – Queenswood Ward

Concerns were raised about the metal fence (presumably installed for visibility purposes) on the left-hand side of the road at the junction with the Cannon Pyon road, which is being obscured by an overgrown hedge and hence pulling out (with reduced visibility) onto the Canon Pyon road is proving very difficult/dangerous for road users.

6. VILLAGE HALL REPORT.

Mr. Mike Kerrigan was able to report that plastering; decorating; kitchen fitting and safety flooring; toilet refurbishment; lighting upgrades and replacement window blinds are all progressing satisfactorily.

However, he reported that the building is not weatherproof and after inspection it has become apparent that the front of the building needs to be repointed at an estimated cost in the region of £3,000 to £4,000.00. It has also been noted that some guttering needs replacing and/or repairing – but it is hoped that the present grant funding will cover the costs of this work.

However, it maybe that the Parish Council will be asked to contribute towards the cost of repointing – Cllr Spong confirmed that although the Village Hall allocation from the 2016-17 Budget/Precept had been spent – there was an additional £4,500 allocated in the 2017-18 budget.

Cllr Spong and everyone present acknowledged and thanked Mr Kerrigan and his committee for all their continuing hard work and dedication to the project.

(6.1) Notice Boards have been ordered and are due to be delivered next week. The Parish Council will be asked to contribute towards the costs of erecting their Notice Board – but Mr Kerrigan deferred this request until the next meeting when costs would be confirmed.

The manufacture of the replacement fire escape has been delayed due to personal reasons – and it maybe that Mr Kerrigan will have to request an extension to the deadline for spending the Tarmac funding. In the meantime, it was agreed, in view of health and safety, that the Parish Council would not to use the upstairs conference room until the fire escape had been fitted.

The Village Hall Treasurer will provide an up to date financial report at the next meeting.

It is hoped to hold an open Celebration Event in the Spring once all the work has been completed on the Village Hall.

7. TO APPROVE MINUTES OF PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
Minutes of the meeting held on 6th December 2016
were accepted as a true record and it was unanimously agreed that they be adopted and signed by the Chairman.

Matters arising or deferred from meeting:
Possible replacement of trees St Peter’s Close – Cllr Jackson and the Chairman have spoken with the two residents and their preference is not to replace the trees at this time.

8. PLAY AREA – Cllr S. Browne report:
(8.1) Play Park equipment – all is in good working order at this time.
The paths are clear but there is some minor damage in the woods from recent high winds and this has resulted in some hung-up branches – dog walkers to be aware. It is hoped to get these dealt with when Ross Tree Services are on site.

(8.2) Tesco Bags of Help – the finalised paperwork has now been
posted to Ground Force and the outstanding amount of £1,525 will be paid by BACS into the Parish account. Due to the shortfall in the length of the runway – a refund of £975 was allowed and this has been absorbed back into the Tesco Bags of Help fund.

Cllr Browne reported continued difficulties with Tesco Bags of
Help Grant / Press release due to protocol with photographs etc.
It was agreed that Cllr Browne would prepare an article and that
it would be uploaded on to the Parish Council website.

(8.3) Cllr Richard Styles very kindly offered to assist Cllr Browne with
management of the park as and when necessary.

(8.4) Jobs for the Spring – it was unanimously agreed that the tree
work should go ahead this spring. Cllr Browne now had three
quotes and it was agreed to ask Ross Tree Services to proceed with the work. The wood from the trees will be sold separately.

There was discussion on the football pitch – regarding the relaying of turf in the two goal mouth areas. It was agreed to relay these areas with turf this spring but that the areas would have to be cordoned off for at least two months to allow the turf to root. The costs are thought to be in the region of £60 to £70 and is was suggested that the monies raised from the sale of the wood would go towards these costs.

9. PLANNING MATTERS – none receive to date
(9.1) Discussion and decision re future Neighbourhood Plan –
Further to an email from Sam Banks which had been circulated.

The question of whether to proceed with a Neighbourhood Plan was again raised and after discussion a vote was taken. It was unanimously agreed not to proceed with a NPD but to go with the option of a DPD as outlined in the email from Samantha Banks.

As requested, this decision will be confirmed and forwarded to the Neighbourhood Planning Team via a copy of these minutes

10. TO RECEIVE REPORTS/UPDATES
Highways report – see previous discussion itemised above.

(10.1) Footpath Officer reported footpaths are muddy was generally in fair state
for the time of the year.

The Footpaths Officer asked if it was possible to have a new gate fitted on the
bridleway. It was acknowledged that this would have to be purchased out of the lengthsman grant as the P3 grant has been spent for this financial year. It was agreed to ask the lengthsman for a quote and if it could be purchased within the remaining funds for this financial year – to go ahead.

11. TO RECEIVE THE TREASURER’S REPORT:
(11.1) Payments since last meeting – two payments (1) to replace
missing cheques and (2) Play Quest.
(11.2) Payment of accounts – schedule of payments
had been circulated – and it was agreed to pay the outstanding
invoices.
(11.3) Bank Signatories – forms were filled in to appoint two
additional signatories.
(11.4) Internet banking- a form was signed by all present for the
Clerk to be able to access the accounts on line – on a read only
basis.
(11.5) Clerk confirmed that the Pension Regulator had brought the
staging date forward to 31st March 2017.

Schedule of payments:

PAYE
Clerk’s Jan PAYE
£83.00

A Parry – Jan invoice
Village Maintenance
£120.00

Lesley Hay
Jan salary
£331.65

HALC
Photocopying
£42.00

Creative solutions
Notice boards
£547.03

Expenses Dec and Jan
Expenses
£35.83

12. LENGTHSMAN SCHEME /D C Gardening
(12.1) Work sheet February (£479 left in LM budget)
Lengthsman to be asked to quote for a new gate.

Lengthsman to be asked to look at the build-up of about 1 metre of soil outside Brooklands – on the Marden bend on the right-hand side. The soil could be removed to a nearby field but Lengthsman would need to speak with Alison Adams from Church House who is the owner of the land. The Chairman will also have a word with Alison Adams.

The build-up of rubbish and unsightly state of the bins at the back of the fish and chip shop remains an ongoing problem. The Clerk confirmed that she had spoken with the Locality Steward who was unable to help – and would now report it to the Agent. At this time – it is not considered a job for the lengthsman.

13. TO CONSIDER MATTERS RAISED BY MEMBERS FOR NEXT
AGENDA – Residents are expressing concerns with regard to the fluctuating opening times at the shop and post office and, it was agreed, that the Chairman should draft a letter to be sent to the owner of the premises.

Future date for the village fete to be discussed and agreed.

The overgrown state of the honeysuckle; leaves and branches adjacent to Cillinchy (along the footpath of Greengables) needs some attention.
The Chairman agreed to speak with the owner in the first instance.

14. DATE of next meeting: Tuesday 7th March 2017

Chairman closed the meeting at 9.15p.m.