Minutes 4th April 2017

Minutes of the meeting of Moreton-on-Lugg Parish Council
held in Moreton-on-Lugg Village Hall on Tuesday 4th April 2017 at 7.30p.m.

 

Parish Clerk – Lesley Hay

The Chairman welcomed those present to the Parish Council meeting.

PRESENT:
Councillors: Cllr Kim Cooper (Chairman) Cllr. P. Spong (Vice-Chairman) Cllr B Jackson; Cllr S Browne; Cllr M. Hackeson-Poole; Cllr C Boden; Cllr R Styles; Cllr Val Javens.

Public attendance: 4

Also in attendance: Parish Clerk: Lesley Hay. Ward Cllr K. Guthrie
Mr. Dan Guerche – Ambassador representing the Police and Crime Commissioner

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Mr Mike Kerrigan Chairman Village Hall Committee.
2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND WRITTEN APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATIONS were made by Chairman Kim Cooper and Cllr Val Javens on behalf of the Village Hall.
3. WARD COUNCILLOR’S REPORT – had been circulated – please see copy attached to these minutes.
The ongoing A49 issues with regard to the speed limit will continue to be followed up with the help of Dan Guerche and hopefully some input from Ian Connolly who is Traffic Management Advisor – West Mercia Police.

The Clerk will follow up with the Locality Steward – progress on the light between Cedar Close and St Peter’s Close.
The Clerk will liaise with the Locality Steward with regard to whose responsibility it is to fill in the pothole appearing in the pavement between village hall and fish and chip shop.

(3.1) OPEN DISCUSSION – with local residents present at meeting and
matters raised between meetings.

Cllr C Boden asked for consideration to be given to erecting a bus shelter at the end of Cedar Close or on the opposite side of the road by the Village Hall/Fish and Chip Shop. After some discussion, it was agreed that the Clerk would approach the Public Transport Manager to get an opinion on the possibility and the best way forward for this request.

The Clerk confirmed that The Rural Area Site Allocation Development Plan Document is now approaching the Issues and Options consultation stage.

This document will outline the issues within the rural area and the possible scope for the coverage of the Rural Area Site Allocation DPD, including the identification of parishes/settlements to be included.

An information event has been arranged for parish councils. This will be held on Monday 22nd May 2017 at 10am in the Shire Hall, Hereford and as the Parish Council have opted to follow the DPD option rather than the Neighbourhood Plan option – it was agreed that the Clerk and Cllr M Hackeson-Poole would attend.

The Chairman welcomed Dan Guerche Ambassador representing the Police and Crime Commissioner – John Campion.

Dan outlined his position as Ambassador to the Police and Crime Commissioner using a projected presentation. The link to this very interesting presentation is:- www.westmercia-pcc.gov.uk

In his role as Ambassador Dan is able to offer support to local parishes and has offered to support Moreton on Lugg in its campaign to try and get a reduction in the speed limit along the A49 between Morton Business Park and the entrance to Morton village.

Dan also acknowledged the problem of speeding through the village and is fully aware that motorists who speed through residential neighbourhoods are very often unaware of the impact their actions have on local residents, or the danger they pose to other road users and pedestrians and this is something the Police Commission is working with communities to address.
Dan explained that the Community Speed Watch gives local people the ability to actively get involved in road safety.
• A Community Speed Watch can be set up in any village, small town, or urban area, governed by either a 20, 30 or 40 miles per hour speed limit.
• Community Speed Watch is a partnership between the Community, the Police and Local Authorities.
• A Speed Watch consists of local residents, who are willing to volunteer a small amount of time each week to monitor speeds with speed detection equipment.
• Vehicles observed speeding will be sent a warning letter along with advice to help change their driving behaviour. Further action will be taken by the police against persistent and high end speed offenders as well as targeting individual locations.
If the parish wish to take up the community speed watch they can register their interest with the Safer Roads Partnership. The Clerk to liaise with the editor of the local newsletter with regard to putting in an advert for volunteers to come forward for training.

The Chairman thanked Dan for a very interesting presentation.

The Chairman closed the Open Session

4. A REPORT FROM THE LOCAL POLICE OFFICER – as there was no Police presence at the meeting – the Chairman read from the most recent newsletter – that there had been an incident of damage by persons unknown to a plastic air vent on a portaloo sited in Sutton St Nicholas and the facility had been pulled over – no further damage had been caused.
It was noted that PC Bart McDonaugh has now been appointed to the position of Safer Neighbourhood Officer for Hereford Rural North. An invitation had been sent and it had been hoped that he would have attended the meeting – the Clerk asked to extend an invitation to the May meeting.
In the meantime, Dan Guerche was able to confirm that it had been officially agreed between the various Police Authorities and the Chief Executive of HALC, Lynda Wilcox, that PCSOs allocated to each Parish would attend at least two Parish Council meetings per year.
(4.1) The Chairman read out two letters with regard to a recent dog safety issue – this problem had been addressed by PSCO Ekanite and the case was now closed. However, the PCSO advised the Parish Council that should similar incidents occur they must be reported to the Police and handled by them.

5. VILLAGE HALL REPORT – the Clerk confirmed that, after discussion with the Internal Auditor, a paper exercise had been agreed with regard to the repayment of £800 by the Village Hall Committee and the subsequent donation of £800 by the Parish Council to the Village Hall.

Mr Mike Kerrigan sent his apologies for his nonattendance at the meeting but confirmed that the first phase of the repointing work had started and phase two would be completed in May. The upstairs new carpet tiles will be laid on the 18th April.

The Chairman remind those present of the Spring Fayre to be held on Saturday.

The accounts showed a balance of £2895.75 with all outstanding cheques cleared and the annual insurance invoice paid.

A suggestion was made that a self-closing door hinge should be considered and fitted to the inner door – at present, it continually slams shut after folk have come through. The Chairman will take this suggestion forward to the Village Hall Committee.

6. MINUTES OF PARISH COUNCIL MEETING held on Tuesday 7th March 2017 were accepted as a true record and it was unanimously agreed that they be adopted and duly signed by the Chairman.

Matters arising or deferred from meeting:
The Chairman read out a letter from the owner of the Post Office in which it promised improvements would be implemented and it was agreed that some improvement had already been noted. However, it was generally agreed that it is imperative that a local shop remain in the village.

8. PLAY PARK UPDATE:
(8.1) Annual Playground Inspection – The Clerk was asked to book Frances White for the Annual Playground Inspection and to request that the Inspector also include the goal posts and the aerial zip wire in his inspection and report.

(8.2) Insurance for volunteers – the Clerk confirmed that volunteers using their own equipment/tools were not covered under the Parish Council’s Insurance. The Clerk was asked to enquire if it is possible to extend the insurance policy to cover Cllr Brown to use his own chain saw/strimmer in the Play Park. If this is not possible, it maybe that these jobs will have to be undertaken by D C Gardening.

Cllr Browne confirmed that all play equipment was serviceable.
The tree pollarding would be getting under way now that the ground was drying up.

The goal areas had been levelled and reseeded. The nets are down at the moment to give the area a chance to repair and the grass to thicken up.

The areas damaged by the moles have been filled with soil and the area is now ready for rolling- hopefully, weather permitting, this will happen on Thursday of this week. The Clerk to make sure that D C Gardening does not start the grass cutting programme until after the area has been rolled.

The basketball pitch has had the moss treated and area cleared.

The paths are clear and where branches have come down these have been pushed to the side.

Cllrs Browne and Styles have taken advice with regard to having small fires within the Play Park and these will be managed as per the legal requirements.
The Dog Fowling is still an ongoing problem – but the Enforcement Officer has made an unannounced visit and has promised to visit again early one morning when the problem seems to be at its worst.

There was a discussion with regard to the ongoing problem of younger children using the park without adult supervision. Unfortunately, there appears to be small gangs forming who are using abusive language and becoming quite threatening to each other. It was agreed to monitor this but that neither Councillors should get involved. If the problem escalates a request should be made to the PSCOs to make their presence known in the park.

9. PLANNING MATTERS – 22 St Andrews Close Moreton on Lugg – a
site visit has been carried out and there is no objection to this application.

10. TO RECEIVE REPORTS/UPDATES
Highways report:
(10.1) Updates on Moreton roads and Bridge – this item had been covered
in the Ward Councillor’s Report and during Dan Guerche’s presentation.
However, the Clerk was asked to check with the Locality Steward for up
to date information with regard to the repairing the damage to the bridge caused
by a vehicle owned by S & A

(10.2) Hedge at Killinchy – Chairman reported that he had visited the resident and the hedge will be cut back within the next couple of weeks.

(10.3) Footpath Officer reported that the footpaths are drying up. There was discussion on the state of the bridleway and it has been agreed that tarmac hardcore, known as road filings, would be the best solution to the present problem. Ownership of that piece of the bridleway is still uncertain but the Footpath’s Officer will continue to make enquiries.

The Footpath’s Officer confirmed that the new gate was in place.

11. TO RECEIVE THE TREASURER’S REPORT:
(11.1) Payments since last meeting – the Clerk confirmed that a cheque had been sent to D C Gardening since the last meeting.

(11.2) Payment of the outstanding invoices – a schedule of payments
had been circulated – was unanimously agreed and the cheques were signed.

A donation to the Annual Fete was deferred until the next meeting.

(11.3) The Clerk explained that the 2016-2017 Internal and External Audit was now getting under way – all documents had been received.

(11.4) The Clerk confirmed that the VAT return had been completed and ready to be posted.

(11.5) The Clerk confirmed that the Lengthsman reimbursement claim had been submitted.

(11.6) PAYE – the Clerk explained that HMRC are requesting future PAYE payments to be made on line and there are to be no paying in books available. The Clerk confirmed that she would in future make these payments via her on-line account and bank statements would be available as required.

(11.7) Annual Clerks review of hours/salary.
The Clerk gave the Chairman a paper copy of the Spinal Column Point showing the 1% increase proposed by NALC. The Parish Clerk left the room. It was agreed with discussion but without dissent to increase the clerk’s salary from: Scale Point 22 to Scale point 23.

The Clerk thanked the Councillors for their continued support.

12. LENGTHSMAN SCHEME – no work sheet for this month.

(12.1) The Clerk to confirm with D C Gardening if there are any changes/amendments planned to the 2017-18 grass cutting contract.

13. TO CONSIDER MATTERS RAISED BY MEMBERS FOR NEXT
AGENDA – not for discussion – no items were brought forward by Councillors.

However, the Chairman wished an item to be added to the agenda for the next meeting – the proposed housing development on land between Church House Farm and the A49.

Although this item was not discussed – it was acknowledged that the next meeting is the Annual Parish Meeting and the Annual Parish Council Meeting. With this information, it was agreed, that once details were available, it may be that an Extra Ordinary Meeting should be called in order for the Parish Council and members of the public to have an opportunity to discuss these plans in more detail.

The Chairman also suggested that when appropriate the Parish Council should arrange a site visit with the developer in order to have a clearer view of the proposed planning application prior to any future meetings.

Further discussion deferred until the next meeting.

14. DATE of next meeting: Annual Parish Meeting and Annual Parish Council Meeting – Tuesday 2nd May 2017 at 7.00p.m.

Chairman closed the meeting at 9.40p.m.

Cllr Jackson extended her apologies for the next meeting.

Signed: ……………………………………………………………….

Date: ………………………………………………………………………

Ward Councillor’s Report

Re: Meeting with Highways England on 21/3/2017 – A49 Issues/Concerns

I have repeatedly raised a number of issues of concern with Highways England which include, rubbish on A49, the poor condition of the lighting at Moreton Business Park & Moreton on Lugg junction, renewal of the white lines at A49 junction at Moreton on Lugg & asked for white lines for the new cycle way and requested the results of a A49 Speed Review (from Wellington Marsh through to Moreton Road).

Unfortunately, Highways England did not respond to any of these requests and could only apologise for their lack of response. I have written to Bill Wiggin MP and asked for his help on these matters as there is an urgent need for much better communication between Highways England. For information of the Parish Council I have copied Kim Cooper (Chairman) Pat Spong (Vice-Chairman) and Lesley Hay (Parish Clerk) into my letter to our MP accordingly.

Re: Remaining Highways England Signage

I have reported the remaining HE signs on A49 (Northern section) – via the HE hotline Tel: 0300 1235000 Ref: 18385411

Drive Around Sutton Walls Ward with Cllr. Rone (Cabinet Member for Transport & Roads)

On 22nd March 2017 I drove Cllr. Rone around the Ward area, in order to show him the main problems with the roads, especially those that are subject to flooding. I provided Cllr. Rone with a map of each Parish, highlighting the roads of concern. For Moreton on Lugg, the key areas were, the poor condition of the village road (with the large trench like pothole – opposite the village hall) which was getting larger. I alerted Cllr. Rone again & copied in our Locality Steward – who immediately followed this matter up & the pothole was filled in on 28/03/2017.

Moreton Bridge – subject to recurring damage from HGVs is in need of some protection, Cedar Close (potholes), walk through from St. Peters Close (in need of a light) Cllr. Rone advised that the Parish Council might want to consider funding for a light and further contact Balfour Beatty. Indeed, I drove along the C1120 Moreton to Marden Road twice, which is the priority road (for all three Parishes) and is in a very poor condition (subject to flooding & mud on road) in need of resurfacing. I consider it was important to provide Cllr. Rone with a comprehensive overview of the highways issues in the Ward area and I hope that if there is any potential funding for roads in the future that Sutton Walls Ward may receive some attention.

Re: Problem of Dog Fouling at Moreton on Lugg Play Area

I have alerted Cllr. David Harlow (Cabinet Member Economy & Corporate Services) to this ongoing daily problem of dog fouling at the children’s Play Area. I requested that an Enforcement Officer patrol the area. There is an urgent need for more Enforcement Officers, currently there is only 1 full time & 1 part time for the whole of the County. Therefore, I strongly requested that Cllr. Harlow considers putting more resources into this area of work. After raising the concerns with the Cabinet Member & Officers – I am very pleased to report some Good News the Enforcement Officer contacted me & has already made a patrol of the Play Area and plans to make more patrols in the future. Hopefully, his visits will help to combat this antisocial problem.

Report by Cllr. Kema Guthrie (29/03/2017)