Minutes 1st November 2016

Minutes of the meeting of Moreton-on-Lugg Parish Council held in Moreton-on-Lugg Village Hall on Tuesday 1st November 2016 at 7.30p.m.

Parish Clerk – Lesley Hay

The Chairman welcomed those present to the Parish Council meeting.

PRESENT:
Councillors: Cllr Kim Cooper (Chairman) Cllr. P. Spong (Vice-Chairman) Cllr B Jackson; Cllr S Browne; Cllr M. Hackeson-Poole; Cllr C Boden
5 members of the public.

Parish Clerk: Lesley Hay.
1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Cllr D Ellis; PCSO Ekanite
2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND WRITTEN APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATIONS by Parish Councillors – Cllr Kim Cooper for the Village Hall;
3. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE LOCAL POLICE OFFICER –
The Chairman was pleased to inform those present that during the month of October there had been no incidents reported to the police.

The Chairman gave a brief overall explanation regarding Crime Stoppers in that Crime Stoppers is a charity and not part of West Mercia Police Force. Their telephone number 0800 555 111 can be used in confidence.

The incidents of drug dealing within the village remain an ongoing problem. It had been hoped to be able to discuss this with the PCSO but ,despite two invitations, the PCSOs have been unable to attend. It was agreed that there was no way forward until such times as this can be discussed further with the Police.

4. WARD COUNCILLOR’S REPORT – please see attached to these minutes
4.1 OPEN DISCUSSION

The problem of speeding through the village was discussed at length and the possibility of launching a ‘community speed watch’ initiative. However, Councillors were reminded that this had been discussed previously and it had been agreed, due to the lack of support and volunteers, not to proceed. However, it was agreed to defer this item until the next meeting.

It was reported that very early this morning a van had been seen parked on the outskirts of the village – it was thought that there were a number of people who maybe sleeping in the van – a description and registration have been reported to the police.

It was reported that a man hole cover had been damaged in St Peters Close –Welsh Water attended the same day and the cover has been replaced.

Chairman closed the Open Session

5. VILLAGE HALL REPORT

Mrs Pam Taplin, on behalf of the Village Hall Committee, reported that the new triple vent toilet windows together with a new kitchen are to be fitted before the end of November. The disabled toilet is also due to be repositioned. The Electric distribution board has been upgraded and the new spiral staircase is on order.

The present financial situation was discussed and a copy of the accounts sheet is attached to the end of these minutes.

Councillor Boden wishes to acknowledge the brilliant achievement of the Village Hall Committee over the last twelve months – particularly Mike Kerrigan for obtaining the grants funding and Pam Taplin for her fund-raising projects.

6. MINUTES OF PARISH COUNCIL MEETING 4th October 2016
It was agreed that these were a true record of the meeting and were unanimously adopted and signed by the Chairman.

CLERK’S UPDATE on matters arising:
(6.1) Further to a recent email with regard to the Boundary fencing – Cllr Spong reported that she had found a copy of a conveyance dated 1983 in which it states that all ditches and water courses are to be maintained in good working order and that a boundary fence is to be erected within 21 years to make the boundary secure.

This fence has been erected and is the responsibility of the Parish Council. It was agreed that over the years this fence had been maintained and repaired following acts of vandalism and, according to the conveyance, the Parish Council are obliged to keep the boundary secure. However, it was agreed that the Parish Council would not be partaking in any plans to replace the existing fence in the foreseeable future.

As the ownership of the fence has now been established, the Clerk was asked to check with the Insurance Company whether or not this fence is covered for criminal damage under the existing Insurance Policy.

(6.2) The Clerk explained that she had received information from the Pension Regulator with regard to offering a pension to all employees of the Parish Council. The Clerk is the Parish Council’s only employee and they have, in the past, offered the Clerk the opportunity of a pension which she had declined. The Clerk will now follow the required procedures as set out by the Government and will report back to the Parish Council.

(6.3) The Chairman informed those present that Cllr Lindesay had resigned as a Parish Councillor for Moreton on Lugg with immediate effect. The Chairman acknowledged Cllr Lindesay’s contribution to the Parish Council during his two years and will get a thank you card signed by Councillors for the Clerk to post.

7. PARK WARDEN –
Cllr Browne reported that all equipment was serviceable and in good order.

There was still no write up in The Hereford Times regarding the Tesco grant and Cllr Browne has followed this up without any success. Cllr Browne is now planning to write his own newspaper article/report in conjunction with Groundwork UK the overall organisers of the project.

The installation work on the aerial zip wire is due to start on the 11th November. A warning notice will be placed at the entrance to the park and Cllr Browne is to liaise with Play Quest re additional warning notices.

The trees overhanging 100 St Peter’s Close have been pollarded and a small amount of firewood sold for £20.00. Cllr Browne will visit resident to confirm she is happy with the work and the outcome.

Cllr Browne has prepared some Draft Risk Assessment documents for the Children’s Play Park at Moreton on Lugg – these, after some amendments, will be circulated at the next meeting.

8. PLANNING MATTERS –

Application No: 162527 – 2 Orchard Close, Moreton on Lugg – retrospective planning application – Dorma with French doors and erection of trellis for flat roof area – no objection raised. Clerk to inform Planning Officer.

9. TO RECEIVE REPORTS/UPDATES
Highways report:

The reported blocked gulley has been cleared.

The road sweeper and drain clearance to be requested for December once the leaves have dropped.

(9.1) Footpath Officer’s report – all well at present.

10. TO RECEIVE THE TREASURER’S REPORT:
(10.1) To consider payment of accounts – schedule of payments had been circulated. All invoices were explained and it was unanimously agreed that these should be paid.

After discussion, it was agreed, by a majority vote, not to reimburse Mr A Parry the cost of gloves recently purchased.

PAYABLE TO FOR GROSS AMOUNT £
A Parry Oct 2016 invoice £120.00
Lesley Hay Oct Clerk’s salary £331.64
PAYE Clerk’s Oct PAYE £83.00
Lesley Hay Oct Expenses to inc postage; Broadband and ink £35.81
D C Gardening Grass cutting contract £475.20
D C Gardening

Lengthsman

Lengthsman contract £48.00
Moreton PCC Peppercorn rent £1 x 3 years £3.00
Moreton PCC Grant towards newsletter printing £240.00
ABC Print Play park sign £30.00
Ross Tree Services Park Tree maintenance £200.00

(10.2) The Budget for 2017-2018 was discussed and it was unanimously proposed; seconded and adopted that the Precept should be set at £17,500 for the coming financial year.
Clerk to complete the requirement form and submit before 31st December 2016.

It was noted that there were warning signs that Budget/Precepts may well be capped in the foreseeable future. Clerk will monitor situation and report back to Council as information becomes available.

Clerk and Internal Auditor have agreed to set a date for the half yearly audit once the current bank statements have been received.

11. LENGTHSMAN SCHEME /D C Gardening
There was discussion on the levelling of the tree stump 25 metres to the right of the entrance to the village from the A49. Clerk to liaise with lengthsman.

12. TO CONSIDER MATTERS RAISED BY MEMBERS FOR NEXT AGENDA –
Consideration to be given to purchasing a new Notice Board – defer until next meeting. Update on boundary changes.
.
13. DATE for next PARISH COUNCIL MEETING – Tuesday 6th December 2016

Clerk to bring co-option papers and copies of Standing Orders; Code of Conduct; Financial Risk Assessment and Financial Regulations.

Reminder that there will be no meeting in January.

Chairman closed the meeting at 8.45p.m.